Nadiem Makarim’s Story About Build Go-Jek from Zero to Reach Success

Established Go-Jek in 2010, Nadiem Makarim never thought that the transportation industry he built could be as big as it is today.

Launching from the CNBC website on Sunday (07/08/2018), Nadiem said the initial intention of establishing Go-Jek was more to the desire to improve transportation in Indonesia. However, within a period of 6 years, the graduate in the Harvard administration business recorded himself in history, namely as the first unicorn in Indonesia.

The Harvard graduate claimed to want to create more efficient and effective motorcycle taxi transportation. Not only that, he hopes motorbikes can apply as business professionals in the future.

“I think many people who used to not believe that motorcycle taxis can be as professional now and are also trusted today,” said Nadiem.

“This is quite frustrating for me, because I also have to know exactly the ojek riders in Indonesia. By knowing them personally, I quickly realized that this sector is truly truly valuable,” he added.

FUTURE PLAN

This strategy continues with Go-Jek expanding in the Southeast Asian market. Go-Jek currently only operates in Indonesia, but next month, Go-Jek will also be released in Vietnam and Thailand. Not only that, the company also plans to launch Go-Jek in Singapore.

The rapid growth of Go-Jek is seen as competing with Grab, a Singaporean company founded by Nadiem’s ​​friend, Anthony Tan. But Nadiem said that the existing pressure made him now more advanced.

“This is really difficult when you are in phase, being in this competition, when everything collides, is competing nowadays,” said Nadiem.

“But when you go more, you will realize that indeed it takes a competition to create scale and bring change,” he added.

Finally, Nadiem hopes that the existence of Go-Jek can inspire Indonesia and other large regions that technology can improve the lives of many people.

“I want that Go-Jek 10 years from now, or 20 years from now, will be discussed as a company that proves that technology can have a big influence on the economy, which is to have a large evolutionary impact on society,” he said.

Bawono Yadika