Deputy of Trade Minister of Indonesia attended Promotional Examination & the Second Doctoral Inauguration of Research in Management

After successfully organizing the first promotional examination and inauguration for Lim Sanny, the Doctoral of Research Management Program of BINUS UNIVERSITY organized the second promotional examination and inauguration, this time for Leli Nuryati. The rector of BINUS University, Prof. Dr. Ir. Harjanto Prabowo, MM, became the chairman once again.

The examination stirred the emotions of participants in the Anggrek Campus Hall of BINUS UNIVERSITY (8th floor), Jakarta Barat. At one point during the examination, which was held on June 18, 2013, they even shed tears since they felt so moved.

On this second examination, Prof. Dr. Gerardus Polla, M.App.Sc became the promoter and Firdaus Alamsjah, PhD became the co-promoter. There is something quite interesting from this promotional examination & inauguration: Dr. Ir. Bayu Krisnamurthi, MS (Deputy of Trade Minister of Indonesia) also became co-promoter. Meanwhile, the examiners are  Prof. Dr. Mts. Arief, CPM and Dr. Ir. Asnan Furinto, MBA (Head, Doctor of Research in Management-BINUS UNIVERSITY).

The dissertation of Leli Nuryati was titled Practices of Green Supply Chain Management (GSCM) in Indonesian Palm Oil Industry and its Effect on Company Performance.

“To be honest, I am very happy. In the future, I want to socialize the result of this research to support the current policy of sustainable palm oil. The policy has been applied for 10 oil palm companies, while in 2014 the ISPO has to be finished for all oil palm companies. This is ironic, right? In the business association of oil palm there are 512 companies. Now, the question remains: in one year, can we move from 10 companies to 512 companies? Therefore, we expect all the companies to apply green supply chain management. This way, when they are being certified by ISPO, they will quickly obtain the ISPO certification,” explained Leli Nuryati.

This good intention has gathered good response. Leli Nuryati’s dissertation was well received by the Deputy of Trade Minister of Indonesia, Dr. Ir. Bayu Krisnamurthi. Bayu explained that Indonesia’s oil palm trade is the largest export from Indonesia, the largest foreign exchange contributor from a single commodity. However, Indonesia has a problem of its own: how to produce palm oil with sustainable process. The topic in Leli Nuryati’s dissertation provided a good insight towards the understanding of sustainability and gave good solution and recommendation.

“This is not the first time I come to BINUS. However, this is the first time I guide a student of BINUS. So far, I think BINUS has a huge prospect. Compared to other leading private universities in Indonesia, BINUS is one of the universities which has good reputation and achievements. That’s why I hope other universities will be able to follow BINUS’ footsteps, which has been showing its excellence on the Doctor of Research in Management Program,” Bayu added.

Meanwhile, Head Doctor of Research in Management (DRM) Binus University, Dr. Ir. Asnan Furinto, MBA added that BINUS University is very proud with the success of Lim Sanny and Leli Nuryati. Hopefully their success will be able to inspire and motivate other students, especially those who are still working on their dissertations. (Karunia Fransiska)