My Experience as an Intern at IDC Indonesia

By: Ni Kadek Virgina N.W. (Student of International Marketing)

Hi! My name is Virgina, and I’m a student at Binus University pursuing bachelor’s degree of international marketing. I am currently an intern at IDC Indonesia (International Data Corporation), specifically in the Marketing PR & Event Department. IDC is a global provider of market intelligence, advisory services and events management for the information technology, telecommunications and consumer technology markets. My internship in IDC is part of a program called 3+1, which is a program for Binus University students to gain experience in the industry in real-time.

What do you think about your internship experience?

To be honest, this job was my first ever work experience and I was so nervous for it, but I always thought that you’ll eventually learn by doing, so I decided to join the program. Luckily, I got to work at a global company such as IDC, because I think that the opportunity is great for me as a student to get experience working with people from different background. I can improve my second language by communicating in english in both written and verbal communication. The working environment in IDC is also very catering for interns. As interns in IDC, we are given real tasks and deadlines that we need to do. The staff members of IDC Indonesia is also very helpful and open, they will help and give guidance for your questions. Overall I had a great time working and learning in IDC and also felt some self-improvements than who i was before doing the internship program.

What is your job description as an intern in Marketing PR & Events Department?

As a marketing intern, my daily tasks is to monitor IT industry news, that will be the content of IDC’s social media, from that activity also we gather information of the IDC’s exposure in the media. IDC often publish press release, media gathering events and media interview. From the data of IDC mentions and media activities on both online and offline media, monthly is made to evaluate the public relations activity of IDC Indonesia.

I also participated in event planning, which is highly detailed task. Activities needs to be done according to the timeline, and the marketing team needs to work together so that we can overcame problems and find the solution. During the event planning, communication between IDC’s Asia/Pacific office and clients needs to be maintained, to minimalize understanding. During my internship program, I’ve participated in 3 events. I participated in 2 custom events titled Telstra Dell EMC Innovation Accelerator Lunch Workshop, which was held at Raffles Hotel and IDC-Cisco Connex TelePresence Roundtable, which was held at Cisco Office. Then, I participated in organizing a syndicated event, titled IDC’s Asia/Pacific Enterprise Cloud Conference 2017, which is a bigger scale event with over 60 participants. From assisting in the event organizing activities, I learnt about how to negotiate with vendor, creating budgeting report, telemarketing skills and event promotion.

In my opinion, working in IDC is a great opportunity for me to experience the working life. I also got to learn about the IT industry which I was not familiar with before, therefore it gave me more knowledge. I am also greatful and thankful to all the staff in IDC Indonesia whom had given me a chance to learn, answered my questions, and tolerate my mistakes☺. Through 3+1 program, I got to experience my first job ever and I really like it. By having this internship written on my cv in the future, I feel like it would give me more value rather than having only a bachelor’s degree certificate.

In conclusion, my experience working as a marketing PR & events intern, I learnt that marketing is not just about selling but also, creating positive brand image through reliable insights on the industry, maintain relationship with key accounts and providing a pleasant customer experience that will increase partner’s trust in the service provided.

#marketingisntallaboutselling.