Is It Beneficial? (Final)

By: Aryo Bismo, SE, MM (Faculty Member of International Marketing)

To remind you this is a little bit explanation regarding what we discussed before about guerrilla marketing, as we discussed before on Is It Beneficial? (Part 1) regarding the guerrilla marketing, according to Investopedia (2017); guerrilla marketing is a marketing tactic in which a company uses surprise and/or unconventional interactions in order to promote a product or service. Guerrilla marketing is different than traditional marketing in that it often relies on personal interaction and has a smaller budget, and it focuses on smaller groups of promoters that are responsible for getting the word out in a particular location rather than on wide-spread media campaigns.

It come up a question, is it really can attract awareness? Well in my opinion Guerilla marketing is one of the advertising that can attract awareness as soon as people see the advertising, this is a marketing activity that allows us to think about a product in different way, and sometimes this activity will lead into another self explanation about the positioning of the product.

The second question appears, is it really cheap? And is it can be used as a long term marketing activity? In my opinion, it is “yes” for the first question and “no” for the second, guerrilla marketing is really cheap but we need to know how to use the suitable media to promote our product, it will costly if we apply this type of promotion in a big scale campaign, because as explained before on the definition that guerrilla marketing only applied for small scale campaign, in addition this kind of activity is really attractive especially for young generation that like the new stuff and unique advertising.

In my opinion, guerrilla marketing cannot use as a long term marketing  activity, because guerrilla marketing only have short term effect in a certain period of time, for example, did you remember camel statue in each of convenience store several months ago? It found out that the camel statue is one of the marketing activities of one Cigarette Company that wants to enter Indonesia, it only appears in several months but the effect is quite significant, because when they trigger this campaign many people keep wondering why the camel statue is on the convenience store? And they will ask to the employee, what is that? It is actually the basic function of guerrilla marketing, makes people wandering and asking what is the meaning of that advertising, well at least which is my thought about guerrilla marketing, what do you think? Is it beneficial for a company or not?…Cheers!

Reference:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/guerrilla-marketing.asp