People Innovation Excellence

Monica Morratha Sihombing

To commemorate Kartini Day, Binus Business School (BBS), make some students and alumnae’s profiles who share Kartini’s spirit through their life and their way to become successful in professional world. Hopefully, these profiles can inspire and motivates women to achieve their dreams.

For Monica, women are natural multitasker because they can do many things at the same time for the best result. Although she is a housewife with four kids, she still manages to build a good career. Monica Morratha Sihombing is a Bachelor of Medicine who started her career in healthcare industry. Her ability to manage her time between doing home tasks and work assignments has earned her the position of Deputy GM Sales & Marketing Corporate at Ciputra Healthcare.

After graduated from Faculty of Medicine Maranatha University Bandung in 1999, Monica began her career as attending doctor at Advent Hospital and Dr. Rotinsulu Lung Hospital in Bandung. As attending doctor, she often stayed awake throughout the night during nightshift. “These experiences motivate me to become a successful person. Success cannot be achieved without hard work and blessing from God,” she revealed her tips.

Not long after serving as attending doctor, Monica was hired as full time employee for PT Pertamina Persero. She worked there for three years as company doctor and as a doctor at Pertamina Hospital in Plaju, South Sumatera. “During my time in PT Pertamina Persero, I had a chance to do ATLS (advance trauma life support), ACLS (advance cardiac life support), and Workplace Health and Safety (Hiperkes) courses,” she said.

After working three years at PT Pertamina Persero, she moved to Java Island where she worked for several private hospitals, such as Premier Bintaro Hospital and Omni Alam Sutera Hospital as attending doctor and medical check-up doctor. She then joined Eka Hospital BSD as a medical check-up coordinator for about two and a half years.

Monica Morratha Sihombing

She currently works for Ciputra Group on Ciputra Healthcare. On November 2010, she joined the company as a Manager Hospital Business Development. To enhance her business development skills, she finished postgraduate study with financial help from the company. “I chose Business Management Program at Binus Business School because it fits my career. I graduated with Suma Cumlaude,” she said.

Monica admitted that she struggled at the beginning of her study because she had to go to college during weekdays, dealing with work assignments, also handle her duties as a mother. “I’m a wife and a mother of four children, so you can imagine how busy I am. But I have faith that I can overcome everything by setting priority scale, making countless efforts, and praying. And God answered my prayers. I finished my study in time. Soon after graduation, I was promoted into Deputy GM Sales & Marketing Corporate by the executives until now,” she recalls her experience.

Monica had to face various challenges to earn her current position. She had to be apart from her family when she was placed by Pertamina at South Sumatera. Therefore, she asked to be relocated to the city where her husband works. “It wasn’t easy at all, then I decided to resign and started from the beginning as I preferred to work within the same city as my family. Thanks to God I get what I wanted today,” she continues.

Monica believes that to become successful at home and in the workplace can be achieved as long as it was done in balance and being responsible for both. She adds, “As a career woman and housewife, I always try to organize every home and work tasks based on priority scale. First thing first. I’ll take a leave if there is a prioritized family affair that has to be solved during working time. Organized, honest, responsible and believing in God are my principles to achieve work-life balance.”

In building her career, she also has to deal with competition at workplace, especially with male employees who have more free time compared to her. To handle this, she tries to finish several tasks at home, when her children and husband are already asleep. “That was when I realize that women are capable of multitasking. It’s a gift for women, since we can finish many tasks at the same time with best result. It proves that we’re not inferior against men,” she said.

Monica believes that professional women can optimize their talents and skills by doing the best in everything we do and make friends not enemies, as relationships is the key to success; don’t be afraid to speak up, no matter wrong or right as long as we say it politely; stay within your position as a “co-pilot”, rather than try to dominate your husband within your family; develop a teamwork with your superiors, partners, and staffs; pray to God; keep learning and improving your skills.

In the future, Monica’s target is not to be promoted to a better position. However, she wants to give the best for God, her family, work, and society. She views Kartini as the anti-establishment at her era as she fight for women’s rights in order to progress. She concludes “I think I couldn’t have earned what I have now if Kartini didn’t fight like she did in the past. Long live for women and happy Kartini Day for us all.”

Other related articles:

Published at :
Leave Your Footprint

Periksa Browser Anda

Check Your Browser

Situs ini tidak lagi mendukung penggunaan browser dengan teknologi tertinggal.

Apabila Anda melihat pesan ini, berarti Anda masih menggunakan browser Internet Explorer seri 8 / 7 / 6 / ...

Sebagai informasi, browser yang anda gunakan ini tidaklah aman dan tidak dapat menampilkan teknologi CSS terakhir yang dapat membuat sebuah situs tampil lebih baik. Bahkan Microsoft sebagai pembuatnya, telah merekomendasikan agar menggunakan browser yang lebih modern.

Untuk tampilan yang lebih baik, gunakan salah satu browser berikut. Download dan Install, seluruhnya gratis untuk digunakan.

We're Moving Forward.

This Site Is No Longer Supporting Out-of Date Browser.

If you are viewing this message, it means that you are currently using Internet Explorer 8 / 7 / 6 / below to access this site. FYI, it is unsafe and unable to render the latest CSS improvements. Even Microsoft, its creator, wants you to install more modern browser.

Best viewed with one of these browser instead. It is totally free.

1. Google Chrome
    2. Mozilla Firefox
    3. Opera
    4. Internet Explorer 9
    Close